Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Starve yourself and you'll actually gain weight!

If you skip meals your body will go into "self preservation" mode and begin to store fat as it assumes food is not readily available. The trick is to actually eat more frequently. You want to kick your metabolism into high gear by eating not more, but more frequently. This is achieved by breaking your meals down into smaller portions and spreading them out over your entire day. Contrary to popular belief, your stomach does not shrink if you eat less.

In fact, what these people may be experiencing is an effect caused by certain foods or supplements that actually create a sensation of being full or feeling satisfied. This is key to losing weight because skipping meals may actually backfire and cause you to eat more when you eventually give in to your cravings.

 

There are also other side effects to starving yourself, such as mental and physical fatigue. At 5 feet, 9 inches I weighed 210 pounds. That may not sound like much and believe me I wore it well, at least that's what I kept telling myself. The problem is most physicians will tell you at that height your ideal weight is 160, give or take a pound. At 210 pounds I was considered obese. I didn't look it, honest. I am sure my heart told a different tale. Being overweight puts additional strain on your heart!

Blog Archive